Saturday 21 July 2012

Making the Transition to 6th.


Rather than piss around with strategy articles and theoretical 6th Ed. lists that cost a 2nd mortgage to purchase...I'm going to try a different approach.

I'm going to have a number of games using one of my standard 5th edition lists and then analyse it's weaknesses within the new ruleset. Then based on what occurs I'm going to tweak the list and then try it out again, have another test, see how it does and so on till it becomes as viable as possible...there are going to be a few self imposed 'rules' for this project however...

1) One list at a time.
I'll start with my Blood Angels list and see how that goes, then probably the Space Wolves or generic 'best-Of' Marine list and then I'll move on to something none Marine such as Tyranids or maybe Imperial Guard.

2) No Allies.
Well not at first anyway. The codex the list is taken from is going to have to stand alone for the first few games (no fixed amount but probably the first 10ish).

3) No more than one or two unit changes per battle.
This could be a unit and it's transport I suppose but I'm not making the mistake I've made previously of dumping a unit after a single poor performance or changing an entire set of unit configurations just because one guy missed a vital shot.....

4) Cost.
Times are hard in the current economy and I (like many of you) can no longer afford to drop a few hundred quid on models only to find out that they don't work or I don't need them or the much rarer but still occasional occurrence of 'damn that looks shit now I've assembled it'.

5) .....
There isn't actually a 5 but my OCD has become more severe of late and won't allow me to have a list that isn't in multiples of 5...I recently spent a rather disturbing hour watching the TV and couldn't quite put my finger on what was wrong till I realised that the volume was on 17...not 15 which would have been fine, 20 which would have been optimal or the slightly more (if only just) tolerable 18...but 17...I still have the nightmares...

I've already made a start on this project and have had my first game of 6th...so my cherry has been popped so to speak...It beckoned me and I was powerless to resist...

An artistic interpretation of 6th edition tempting  me in like a Snake with an unusually tempting apple...As It had cunningly gleaned that I don't like apples particularly it tried a different approach...
I'll compile the pictures of the 1st game and my somewhat random learning experiences from it into a coherent article and post it over the weekend some time...

5 comments:

  1. Jessica Alba is my weakness as well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "This could be a unit and it's transport I suppose but I'm not making the mistake I've made previously of dumping a unit after a single poor performance or changing an entire set of unit configurations just because one guy missed a vital shot....."

    I've been known to do this too. Forcing myself to play the same Warmachine warcaster and only his theme forces for three months has been helping me to an extent, but it's still hard not to chuck things out after one bad game.

    Anyway, them's good rules, and I think it's going to be how I approach revitalising the Necrons. I hear they're still decent at the moment, and I'm getting the itch to build and paint some tank kits for something...


    Brought to you by a man who's not happy unless everything's set to 64%, for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Necrons have been strengthened by the slightly silly flyer rules and a few other minor benefits. Also allies enable you to plug tactical holes in almost any army now.

      Delete
  3. I think that sounds like a find approach to take.

    Personally though I am embracing Allies as it makes me want to play my Marines again (as opposed to Grey Knights).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails