Wednesday 22 August 2012

Smearing Paint Over Dead Hookers - Part 4


So I'm now playing Malifaux with the same enthusiasm that I once reserved for 40K.....

I've now had six (and two half ones) games using Seamus 'The Mad Hatter' and I'm really enjoying the way the system works. Pretty much every 'Master' has at least one ability that would be considered 'broken' in any other system but when everything's broken then nothing is broken I suppose. Balance is pretty much non existent due to the fact that many of the characters rules are background driven so 'girl who kills undead' is going to wipe the floor with 'army of the undead' and the card system is even more random than using dice would be (Though your control hand mitigates that somewhat).....so the fact that I'm enjoying it may be a surprise to any-one who's followed my blog for any length of time, lol. 

The fact is...well...it's fun...lots of fun, in fact...

I've been nearly wiped out twice and actually wiped out once just because I drew a black joker at the most inconvenient of times and been saved several times because my opponent did exactly the same thing. It doesn't seem to matter though as the system itself lends itself to narrative campaigns rather than actual tournaments as you can most probably break the game in a few minutes if you felt so inclined....which I'm not by the way...

This new obsession has been facilitated by the good fellows at Titan Games* via a loosely ruled 'Campaign' organised by a gentleman (I use the term in it's most loosest of senses, lol) named Tom. It's quite open at the moment and is more a training exercise for the basic rules (we're mostly amateurs, with a few exceptions...) than a serious competitive endeavour but it is quite spectacularly succeeding in it's aim of getting people to play Malifaux.

*who as yet don't have a website but their Facebook page can be found here.

It's also motivated me to actually paint things and more amazingly to actually enjoy it. On that note here's some pictures...



Thoughts and comments are (as usual) most welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails