Friday 11 January 2013

E-Mail In - Malifaux Rules Queries

E-Mail in,

Me and a pal have started playing Malifaux after a couple of demo's at a local store. We've learnt the basic rules at the shop but unfortunately most of our games have been at home and we haven't bought a rulebook yet. Any chance you could answer a few queries that came up. We'll buy a rulebook soon we promise, lol.

Name withheld.

Reply,

I've edited the questions out of the e-mail rather than print them twice. For your general information you can download a copy of the rulebook (minus the diagrams and pretty artwork) for free from Wyrd Games's website and all the FAQ's are freely available as well...

Rules download page.

...and onto the questions (which by the way are pretty much all in the FAQ if you want to double check after you've downloaded it). I'm also adding the above link into my blogs sidebar along with a few other useful Malifaux links.

Q1 - Can I use Melee Expert or Casting Expert as part of a (2) attack action?
A1 - No. Specific AP can't be combined with general AP. You couldn't use Melee Expert as part of the (2) cost of a charge action for example.

Q2 - Are undead immune to spells that target Wp as they're immune to Morale Duels?
A2 - No. If something's a morale duel it'll say so. Spells that target Wp still effect undead unless it specifically says that the ability or whatever is a morale duel.

Q3 - Can I cheat the 2nd card I flip for damage after the red joker?
A3 - No...for a while I was actually doing that because as far as I was concerned there were no negatives so it could be cheated...however I was recently shown that I was wrong...and now I can't find the hell were it says it, lol...the answers still No, though.

Q4 - In a recent game I killed all the enemy models on turn three but I hadn't completed one of my schemes or the mission. Do I automatically count as having won or not?
A4 - You don't automatically win by destroying your enemy completely. In fact it's entirely possible to get massacred but still win on VP's if you completed the mission and your schemes and your opponent didn't. The surviving player does still get the rest of the available turns to play though if he wants. So in your example you could have spent the next few available turns attempting to complete your remaining mission and schemes if you so desired.

Q5 - If I summon my model into an enemy models terrifying range does it get affected the same is if it entered the terrifying area as normal?


A5 - Yes. you've quite clearly 'entered an enemy models terrifying range' regardless of how you arrived there.

Q6 - Can I break the limit on a Rare model if I have a spell that can summon more?
A6 - No. If you could my Leveticus would have about 15 Hollow Waifs by turn 4 and would be virtually impossible to kill. Saying that there are some models that have special rules allowing you to break those limits but they're clearly worded on the appropriate stat card. The Dreamer for example ignores the Rare 1 limit on taking Teddy...

So that's your specific questions answered. I would personally recommend buying the 1.5 rulebook as the artwork and stories add a lot of flavour to the whole Malifaux experience but if your too tight for that then just use the free one ;-)

Thoughts and comments are (as usual) most welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails