Thursday 10 January 2013

Night Terrors...


I've recently been using Night Terrors in games of Malifaux and have been pleasantly surprised by their usefulness when compared to their soul stone cost of three.

For a start they're fairly mobile with a Wk of 6 and the Flight rule so terrain isn't an issue. If using multiple Night Terrors you can use their (0) Action 'Flock Together' to push all friendly Night Terrors within 6" into base contact with the casting model. Basically this means you can deploy two Night Terrors next to each other, activate one and move it 6", push the other one towards you before taking another action (most likely another walk) effectively giving the 2nd Night Terror a 6" head start. Additionally, the 'Attracted to Noise' rule gives you an optional 3" push towards an enemy model within 8" that makes a ranged strike or casts a spell...you may not want to though as they're not really a model you want in combat.

Though they only have four wounds and an average defence of 5 the fact that they are Spirits helps their survivability by halving the amount of damage they take (except from magical weapons...unfortunately) and if you want them to camp on an objective you can always put them in a defensive stance. The also have a (1) action spell that has an aura of 6" and reduces models ranged attacks by -4 within that area...of course within that distance pretty much enemy model can just walk up and punch you instead...

It's also worth noting that as they are classed as Beasts, Nightmares and Spirits they can be hired by many different Masters.

But.....I have a tiny issue with them which is that they don't really fit in with the theme of certain of my crews, specifically they don't really fit the theme of my Seamus crew which is (with the exception of The Mad Hatter himself) all female. So the four Night Terror models I have will work quite happily with my other crews but for Seamus's posse I'll need something a bit different ;-)

For this I'll be turning to my first choice for Malifaux 'Counts-As' namely Freebooter Miniatures and more specifically this model in particular...


It's on a similar scale, is sitting on a rock and has wings so it's not a terrific stretch of the imagination and fits nicely with the somewhat gender specific nature of the rest of my Seamus crew. Though I like the colour scheme on the above model I have a few other pictures that have inspired me for other colour concepts.





The one in chains is particularly interesting and has given me a few ideas...

Thoughts and comments are (as usual) most welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails